- In the Windows start menu, type Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager and open it.
- In Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager, in the Connections menu tree (left pane), locate and click the server name.
- On the server name Home page (center pane), in the IIS section, double-click Server Certificates.
- On the Server Certificates page (center pane), in the Actions menu (right pane), click the Create Certificate Request… link.
In the Request Certificate wizard, on the Distinguished Name Properties page, provide the information specified below and then click Next:
Common name: Type the fully-qualified domain name (FQDN) (e.g., www.example.com).
Organization: Type your company’s legally registered name (e.g., YourCompany, Inc.).
Organizational unit: The name of your department within the organization. Frequently this entry will be listed as "IT", "Web Security," or is simply left blank.
City/locality: Type the city where your company is legally located.
State/province: Type the state/province where your company is legally located.
Country: In the drop-down list, select the country where your company is legally located.
On the Cryptographic Service Provider Properties page, provide the information below and then click Next:
Cryptographic service provider: In the drop-down list, select Microsoft RSA SChannel Cryptographic Provider, unless you have a specific cryptographic provider.
Bit length: In the drop-down list select 2048, unless you have a specific reason for opting for larger bit length.
- On the File Name page, under Specify a file name for the certificate request, click the … box to browse to a location where you want to save your CSR.
Note: Remember the filename that you choose and the location to which you save your csr.txt file. If you just enter a filename without browsing to a location, your CSR will end up in C:\Windows\System32.
- When you are done, click Finish.
- Use a text editor (such as Notepad) to open the file. Then, copy the text, including the -----BEGIN NEW CERTIFICATE REQUEST----- and -----END NEW CERTIFICATE REQUEST----- tags, and paste it into the order form.
- After you receive your SSL certificate, you can install it.
Updated almost 2 years ago